11/12/08

This blog is going to fail II - Some questions about blogging

Better than that, this blog is dead. And I'll try to resurrect it.

Why do I think that? Well, during the last days (or months) I have been realizing of the potential of all these new ways of communication. In one of my last posts I have given a little perspective on social networking services, but, is blogging really a form to communicate? Ultimately, what is blogging?

Well, I attended TechEvent last week, and they had a blogging panel with five personalities of the Mexican blogsphere. The interesting thing is that each one of them has a very different background, hence very different kind of bloggers.

Blogging platforms (the CMS's) are at everybody's hands. But blogging is not for everybody. There will be always millions of blogs, but at the end only few ones will be relevant to the most of the people. But, and it's a big but, the phenomena of the long tail will become more and more evident, and the blogsphere will segment. Which is a good thing for people, but bad for businesses.

One of the interesting questions was if blogging was about quality or quantity. Uh, that was a hard one. Let this blog speak for itself: quantity doesn't help. I try to keep quality posts, but THAT IS NOT ENOUGH. And certainly, the answer is not straightforward, it depends on the blogger, and the content. For commercial blogs, for example, quantity is essential, while for technical blogs quality is more important overall.

Other thing that caught my attention was the question about if blogging is a one way channel or is more a conversation. The answer again lies at the circumstances. Very few people have the right of being "information radiators" only, based on their communication skills. But those people aside, blogging is mostly a way to interchange opinions to the world back and forth.


by Kristina B

Yep, I must love wordle

Lastly, my personal question: how is microblogging changing the way of blogging? I mean, I have a Twitter account and for me is lot more easy to Twitter about something relevant than blog it. Twitter and other services that were not meant to replace blogging are doing it, at least very gradually and imperceptibly. Twitter may the epitome of quantity, but it can still keep quality.

Other blogs talking about TE08: geek.com.mx

No comments: